Amy Haisten & Fancy Turtle Media:
Hey! I’m Amy Haisten, a graphic artist, surface designer, and illustrator. I create and maintain visual brands and create patterns and illustrations for commercial purposes.
I design and make art because the arts are innate to me and have always been what my soul craves. I love being a designer and artist because it doesn’t feel like working when you love doing what you do!
I created Fancy Turtle Media to be a creative outlet and to fulfill a dream of mine to create surface design patterns and illustration while the rest of my career is and has always been clean graphic design or blatant marketing and advertising. Turtles are stigmatized as slow and perhaps lazy, but they are actually a symbol of strength, longevity, and determination. They are associated with the creation myth of several cultures (The World Turtle, Turtle Island, Cultural Depictions of Turtles, etc.), so they are also a symbol of creativity. I wanted to create art again, and I hope my designs inspire you to make your dreams happen and make your own heart sing!
I have lived in Georgia for most of my life and currently reside in Jackson—in beautiful Butts County. My hometown can be the “butt” of jokes. It is a small town unheard of by many (even those who live in Georgia) but is recognized as home to Georgia’s death row, Indian Springs State Park, and Fresh Air Bar-B-Que. It is also known for being a filming location of the Netflix series, “Stranger Things” and “The Originals.” This follows suit with other similar shows filmed in Georgia like “The Walking Dead” and “The Vampire Diaries.” As a huge fantasy fan, this really speaks to my inner geek.
- Turtles depict my personality. I’m an INTJ, always testing at 99-100% introversion.
- I love turtles, sharks, the ocean, leopard print, chocolate, and cheese.
- I am the mother of Falkor, my English Mastiff furbaby.
- I collect gemstones, and my company-branded colors are jewel tones.
- The original name for my company was Pink Pixel Media. I changed the name when I started going in the direction of surface design and focusing less on graphic design.
- I started my career in the newspaper business at “The Fulton County Daily Report” in Atlanta. It covers Georgia legal and business news.
- My degree included fine art as well as graphic design. I also studied drawing, painting, and ceramics. I loved it all and had difficulty picking just one focus!
- I think your health and fitness are key to staying motivated and having the energy to pursue your endeavors. I enjoy weight lifting and am working towards getting stronger and leaner. It was my goal to reach the top of Amicalola Falls as my fitness level increased, and I did!
- I have always wanted to go to France and Ireland and have already been to England. That is one down and two to go… I wouldn’t mind the opportunity for adventures in some other European countries as well. My ancestors originated from The British Isles, and this area inspires me.
- I am a geek…
- I began college as a music major. In high school, I was a band geek and played percussion mostly in the pit but marched bass drum one year. I even was a member of a college group similar to “Stomp” called “Joyful Noise.”
- I am a bookworm and love continuing to learn and grow.
- I love arts and crafts festivals, the renaissance festival, and conventions like BlizzCon and DragonCon.
- My favorite TV shows, movies, and books are mostly fantasy: The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Labyrinth, The NeverEnding Story, The Princess Bride, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, etc.
- When I was young, I revered Wonder Woman. I dressed in Wonder Woman Underoos and tin foil bracers, watched Lynda Carter on TV, and had a Wonder Woman action figure at the head of my bed to protect me from ghosts at night.
- I am a very casual gamer. For the Alliance!
- I want you to be strong and determined like the turtle and pursue whatever your heart desires—no matter how long it takes.
Education & Experience:
I have worked in the design field since graduating in 2003 with a B.A. in Art & Design with a concentration in Graphic Design from LaGrange College. I later completed a diploma in Animation & Multimedia with a concentration in Web Design from Central Georgia Technical College. My accounting and business studies at Macon State College are an asset in my business endeavors. In addition to freelance work at Fancy Turtle Media, I currently work at the Monroe County Reporter as Creative Director. I am also continuing to refine my skills with Lilla Roger’s Make Art that Sells and Jessica Swift’s Pattern Camp. I have also recently studied Health Information Management at Georgia Northwestern Technical College and am now pursuing Health Care Management at Southern Crescent Technical College. I have made the decision to change to the medical field for my day job, but I will always continue to do design. I have plans for the future of Fancy Turtle Media involving surface pattern design and the incorporation of health and fitness.